Special Education Department
Welcome to our Department.
Goals for Special Education Programs
In order to provide programs of the highest quality for students with exceptional needs in the Morongo Unified School District special Education Local Plan Area, the following goals are set forth:
1. Collaborate with other special education teachers and general education teachers to improve the quality of education for our students.
2. Work toward improving the team approach for problem solving and decision-making.
3. Work toward parent involvement and participation. Provide opportunities for parent education and establish systems for communication with parents.
4. Provide for multi-disciplinary team approach for assessment with the purpose of developing programs to meet the needs of the student in the Least Restrictive Environment.
5. Provide ongoing in-service for general education staff on how to meet the needs of Special Education students mainstreamed with the expectation that all students can learn.
6. Provide opportunities for Special Education teachers and assistants for staff development, which will include updates on procedures, trends in Special Education and techniques to enrich teaching effectiveness.
7. Use a collaborative management team approach with regular educators to make mainstreaming/inclusion and return to general education available to all students with exceptional needs.
8. Work toward community awareness and acceptance of exceptional students and adults. this goal is to include vocational education, interpersonal skills, and adaptive behavior and communication skills necessary for effective transition into adult life as part of the curriculum.
9. Assist general education in programs for effective schools.
10. Research and plan for continuous technology upgrading for Special education programs and students.
Special Education is an integral part of the total public education system and provides education in a manner that promotes maximum integration between children or youth with disabilities and children or youth who are not disabled in a manner that is appropriate to needs of both. Special Education provides a full continuum of program options to meet the educational service needs of individuals with exceptional needs in the Least Restrictive Environment.